DOS AND DON’Ts FOR PROFILE PICS
BY PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHER
TAKING YOUR PROFILE PIC: THE DOs and DON’Ts
- Remember the Rule of Thirds in photos. Use the grid lines on your mobile and keep your eyes level with the top line to make the composition more appealing.
- Bear in mind your light source and try to use natural lighting such as daylight from a window.
- Think of the background, keep it simple and not distracting.
- Continue clicking for as many images as it takes until you have the perfect shot.
- Take your photo in direct sunlight, which will create shadows and bleach out your skin tone.
- Use downlighting, which will also make dark shadows, especially under your eyes.
- Shoot in a dark room as the resulting image will look quite fuzzy and your eyes will go black.
- Have distracting background objects such as an unsightly light socket or a lamp behind that looks like it’s sticking out of the top of your head.
- Frown or look surprised. Keep your expression natural and confident.